Ready to communicate with user
To take full advantage of this site, please turn it on and then refresh the page.
Main List of Frequently Asked Questions
- General Questions & Facility Operations FAQ
- Where is the Facility located? How do I get there?
- How do I schedule an appointment for consultation? (Casual drop-in visits are always welcome!)
- Who can use the Facility?
- Do I need to be a member to use the Facility?
- What is membership? Why should I join?
- Will the Facility staff help me use Facility equipment?
- Can I use Facility equipment myself?
- Will the Facility staff help prepare specimens and collect images?
- Will the Facility staff help me analyze my data?
- Will the Facility staff help me customize equipment or software for my applications?
- Will the Facility purchase new equipment or accessories for my applications?
- How do I cite the Facility's help in my publications and grants?
- Can Facility staff collaborate with me on my microscopy project?
- Network & Information Technology FAQ
- How can I access my images from outside School of Medicine?
- How do I get to the Microscope Facility Server?
- How long can my data stay on the Microscope Facility Server?
- I've forgotten the login/passwords for computers/microscopes/server. What are they?
- Fluorescent Microscopy Techniques FAQ
- Which fluorophore probes can I visualize using Facility microscopes?
- For the confocal microscopes, what laser wavelengths are available for excitation? Which fluorophores are appropriate?
- Which confocal do I use (Zeiss Meta or Ultraview)? What are the differences?
- What is the confocal z-resolution?
- How do I prepare the slide (max coverslip thickness, anti-fade, sealant)? Storage?
- How do I check for cross-talk or bleed-through of fluorescent dyes (i.e. controls)?
- Can I do fluorescence recovery after photobleaching (FRAP) on Facility microscopes?
- Can I do fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET) on Facility microscopes?
- Electron Microscopy Techniques FAQ
- What kinds of electron microscopy techniques are available?
- Are immuno-electron microscopy services available?
- How should I bring samples to the Facility for electron microscopy? If I bring cells, how should they be delivered?
- Can I bring formalin-fixed or paraffin-embedded samples for TEM?
- If I don't need immuno-EM, how long does it take to prepare samples for viewing on the electron microscope?
- Why does the sample size (tissue) have to be so small?
- Immuno-electron Microscopy Prerequisites